Ingredient of the Week - Quinoa
Ingredient of the week is Quinoa - the ultimate superfood grain!
This week’s ingredient of the week is quinoa (pronounced Keen-wa). This superfood has become increasingly popular with the rise of healthy eating in recent years. Last year the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (FAO) officially declared 2013 to be the ‘International year of Quinoa’. Quinoa was first domesticated for human consumption in the Andean region of Ecuador, Bolivia, Columbia and Peru over 3,000 years ago.
• Quinoa has more than two times the protein content of rice or barley, it is a complete protein and contains all 9 essential amino acids.
• Gluten-free and low GI, quinoa is a healthy option for almost all diets.
• It is a great source of calcium, magnesium and manganese.
• It has a high fibre content, containing almost twice as much fibre as other grains.
• It is high in anti-oxidants and contains anti-inflammatory components.
Quinoa at Aubaine
We have updated our healthy quinoa salad for Spring with new fresh ingredients including fennel, radish, pesto and sultanas.
The quinoa salad is available in all our restaurants and also as part of a special healthy menu that is available exclusively at Selfridges!
Selfridges healthy menu includes a detox virgin green tea and ginger cocktail along with the new quinoa salad (served with gluten free bread) and a delicious frozen berry dessert, all for only £17.50!